Er. Raj Shekhar
The Automobile Engineering Department in Govt. Polytechnic Bikram Chowk Jammu has been imparting a three years diploma course in Automobile Engineering since 1970. Basic qualification for the course is 35% marks in 10th class with math and science subjects for admission in the first year & pass in 12th class with math and science subjects or Pass in ITI in two years course in motor mechanic, for admission in the 2nd year under lateral entry scheme. Some seats are kept reserved for specially abled candidates under PWD scheme. The course is of three years duration divided into six semesters for general students and of two years duration divided into four semesters for lateral entry students. The course is fully approved by AICTE and affiliated by the JKBOTE. The candidates who want to get admission can apply to the BOTE through online mode. The admission generally starts in the month of March every year.
The course contents are prepared in such a way that the students can study both theory and practical subjects equally. They can practice basic workshop practicals in welding, fitting, smithy, sheet metal, carpentry and electrical shops and theory subjects in applied science subjects and Engineering Drawing in the first year. In second year, subjects of engineering and technology and related practicals are taught. In third year, the automobile workshop practicals are performed in two semesters alongwith engineering and technology & management subjects. The students are also given exposure to the CAD course and TATA technology CIIIT centre that is established by the TATA company in the institution.
In addition, the students are involved in various sports and student centred activities like extension lectures, library study, games, hobby clubs, like photography, painting, singing, seminars, education field visits, NCC, NSS, cultural activities, civil defense/disaster management etc. There is also a compulsory four weeks industrial training for the students of fourth semester.
The institution has facilities for football, volleyball, badminton, cricket, chess etc. There is a new Hostel building with all facilities. A medical practitioner is also available for minor injuries. A conference hall and an auditorium of about two hundred students are available. There are smart classes with latest equipment.
Laboratories in Automobile Engineering Department
- Computerised Machinery Lab consisting of Wheel Alignment machine, Automatic tyre Changer, Wheel balancer, Engine analyzer and Exhaust analyzer.The students of 5th and 6th semester Automobile Engineering perform practicals on theses machines.This equip them with the latest workshop functions.
- Engine lab consisting of various working models of four cylinder petrol and deisel engines fitted on the stands. They can be easily dismantled, assemblled and restarted under the guidance of instructors. The mpfi engines are also available in the laboratories.
- Fuel injection pump lab consisting of Fuel Injection Pump Calibrating machine which is the latest in the Industry. The deisel FIP pumps can be calibrated in the machine Also present is the injector tester and working model of Deisel pumps.
- Service station comprising of Air compressor and water bay. All types of Vehicles can be cleaned in the service station. Also present is the vacuum cleanes which acn remove dust fron inside the vehicle.
- Fork lift is also present in the department hich can lift various machines. The students also perform practical on the forklift.
- Workshop consisting of latest tools and equipments for general repairs which can be used to repair two wheelers, and four wheelers whether petrol or deisel vehicles.
- Vehilcles present in the workshop are enfield motor cycle, three wheeler, Swaraj Majda bus, maruti Gypsy, Omni Van, Ambassador car, Mahindra Jeep etc.
- Machine Lab consisting of Crankshaft grinding machine,Bench grinding machine, boring machine etc
- Paint booth
1. Educational tour of final year students to Mumbai, Goa, Pune and New Delhi
2. Ecology camp at patnitop for two days.
3. Winner of running trophy of volleyball by students of Automobile Engineering in the annual sports meet of the institution.
4. Two days Petrol free awareness
5. Plantation drives/ Swachhta abhiyan
7. Awareness for the new admissions
8. Industrial visits
9. Induction programme for the students of 1st semester
10. Winner of cricket competition of the institution
11. Four weeks industrial training in TATA technology CIIIT in CNC lab of the students of 4th semester.
12. Student of 3rd semester namely Mr. Utamvir Singh attended RDC under NCC on republic day.